View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Density worked. Took some measurements, did some weighing .. all my materials came out to the expected products within about 1% error.

Lots of UHMW as expected, some PTFE, and couple of 1/2" thick 4" wide, 18" long sheets of Delrin, and one nice 12" x 6" x 1/2" sheet of Ketron Peek. Surprised, about $1000 worth of exotic plastics (at McMaster prices) .... most of that stuff came from people that donated it cause they know I make a lot of projects, or scrap that I picked up at auctions.

Already laminated the density chart to go in my shop info binder

Shame the Delrin is in 1/2" sheets, would be a pain to machine into bushing.

Good work! Glad it helped you sort your stuff.

Which way are you leaning?

IMO, any of those would probably work fine but I'd go with stronger/tougher because of the probable dirt and dust.

Delrin is a standard "go-to" for bearing surfaces but you were concerned about temperature. I think it would be OK personally but the PTFE and PEEK will definitely be more heat-proof. The PTFE is super slippery, inert, and temp-stable but I'm not sure how it would behave coated with sand.

The PEEK is high-tech. I'll bet it was expensive! It probably would be best for a bearing if carbon- or even PTFE-filled but even unfilled PEEK should be "slippery enough" for your bushing. PEEK may "out-wear" the other options if dirt is present as it is super tough. PPS is a similar material and I remember it being VERY wear resistant.

Thanks for sharing this latest project.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: