View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I've had luck using the smallest pipe wrench you can find, unlike vice grips the harder you pull the tighter it grips.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to use a 5 inch pipe wrench, but somewhere along the line I lost it, and never have replaced it. It was by far the best wrench to get a hold of inverted flare fittings. It didn't matter if it was completely round, the teeth would still get a hold of it and walk it right out. I really need to buy another one of those.

In 50 years of wrenching I never caught any brake fluid on fire, it's not like gasoline, and it can't burn without oxygen inside a sealed system, non issue. As matter of fact in the tech school Midas puts on for training their techs, they show you how to heat brake lines up, and quench them with water to break the rust seal. If a corporate school uses that method, it's probably never going to burn any cars, else they wouldn't be teaching that method.

Quote from the net:

Quote:
Nov 29, 2021 — Is DOT3 brake fluid flammable? The main component of DOT3 fluid is glycol ether which has moderate flammability and will not ignite easily.
If you get a flex hose fitting too hot, it will blow the line out of the crimp if the system is still sealed due to pressure buildup, it startles you, and it makes a big pop, that's about it though, no fire. Then you have another piece to replace in the system. If the system is open you won't blow the flex hose out of the crimp, only when it's closed, and can build pressure.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: