View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

Good advice Cardo, I've watched this leak since early June. After every drive I would inspect it with a light, mirrors and q tips. I suspected the crank seal because it wasn't replaced. But I cleaned the area thoroughly after every drive, and I could reach up behind the balancer with a q tip and swab the seal area and it was clean and dry. I also know that when they smeared ultra Grey on the outside where the pan and timing cover meet, it slowed it considerably, but didn't stop it.

I KNOW what caused this. I told them when I took the motor in, that one of the bottom thread holes in the timing cover was stripped and it needed a helicoil. When I discovered the leak 3 weeks after I got it back on the road, the first thing I did was tighten the bolts to see if it would stop it. Instead of 12 ft lbs, the front bolts were only at 6 lbs, and the one I told them to helicoil just spun. They didn't helicoil it, and that's where it's leaking. I installed a helicoil myself and tightened it to 12 ft lbs, but it still kept leaking. Once the gasket gets oil soaked through, it just wicks out. The only way to stop it is to replace it.