View Single Post
Old 12-12-2022, 03:04 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all the advice, as far as paint damage, it's not the water that damages it, it's the coolant. It runs down the block, down the pan, everything looks like crap. I just painted and installed that motor last spring after a rear main replacement, and it's leak free except for at the front. It's a h$ll of a lot easier to remove the timing cover than pull the motor or even raise the motor to replace the entire pan gasket. The half moon cork gasket on the front of the pan is part of the timing cover gasket kit so that's the way to go. I've yet to find a spray can paint that wi sta d up to antifreeze.
That being said, butler performance says they use gm gray engine sealant, is ultra gray the same thing? Also, do I apply sealant to both sides of the timing cover gasket, or just on one side around the 2 water jacket holes? And the 67 manual says to cement the cork gasket to the oil pan. Are they saying to use spray tack to glue it in place, and do I put any kind of sealant on either side of the cork gasket or just in th corners where it meets the block? Sorry for all the questions, but if you don't put sealant on or put the wrong stuff on the wrong side, you e d up with a leak.