View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I think ~500 plus or minus 50 would be 80% of the market though. So that’s an important distinction. They are going to be fine for a large portion of the market.

Slap an out of the box set on a 557 block and make the max of that blocks power anyway is a pretty solid deal for the weekend warrior. The longer I’ve been in the hobby the more I have slid into the “don’t get it perfect, just get it running” category. I say that as someone who looks at my motor that made 590 HP and is considering a cam and intake swap. I should take my own advice more.

I think it’s easy to loose sight that most of us even in the street section are not the average motor enthusiast consumer. I was at a swap meet last week looking down my nose at like 50% of the crowd who go in and mostly walk out with a reproduction knock off sign and maybe a new in box Chinese HEI. It’s like the equivalent of a dude who orders his steak medium well in Ruth’s Chris. But then I remind myself that the hobby dies without those guys and it’s not my place to judge them or what they consider fun.

Out of all the classic cars on the road how many visit the drag strip even once a year? Of those how many really really try to make them faster? An out of the box set of mediocre heads, a cheap HEI that has way too much vacuum advance, and an out of the box vacuum secondary holley avenger that is probably too rich is going to make most people happy. It starts with no problem and does good burnouts on rock hard white letter BFGs.
I agree with you a 100%. But how many guys drop out of this hobby when their bargain Fluidamper blasts a hole in the hood of their freshly painted Hot Rod and the crank breaks in two pieces wiping out their freshly convertered 5.3 junkyard block with Speedmaster heads? I could be wrong, but most of the folks on this Website seem to have been in the car hobby for quit a while. I'm guessing they are true car enthusiasts that have it in their blood. A lot of folks read threads and try to learn. They may be around the car hobby for a short time or a life time. I feel knowledge is power and the more you know the better your odds are for success. Hopefully someone will learn the the Chinese distributors have a much better chance for getting you a tow truck ride home than the old GM 990 module. That knowledge might save them a divorce.

A fellow I've known since High School has been a gear head his entire life. He works hard but doesn't have a bunch of extra money for his Hot Rod. He has a family he puts first and spends what he can to go fast. He ended up buying a pair of heads that he thought were new GM LS3 heads. He dropped them off to have me go through them. These were the crappiest heads I've ever seen. He had read more than once on the Interenet that they were great heads and guys have made big power and never had an issue (sound familiar?) I happened to come across a You-tube video titled "World's worst LS head" or something to that effect. I watch it and the guy is reviewing the same POS heads that I just fixed and they had the same exact problems. I really doubt this company only messed up these two pairs of heads and got the rest correct. I'm betting the guys on the Internet that critiqued them as "great heads" didn't know any better.... It's too bad someone didn't "cowboy up" the real information on the LS sights in regards to those heads, I know of atleast two guys that are sorry they bought them.