View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Boost Engineer

My multiple sets of Jackstands were made it China but years ago, by a company that uses a "T" and then a number on their stands. My 6 TON stands typically go under the rear axle of the car when I am working on it. These are not formed stands. They are heavy metal "welded" stands and ALL of the Stands I own have very sharp (well machined) teeth on the sliding adjustment bars. The locks are also very snug on these stands, no slop anywhere. They need to be oiled up though, lol!
IF I have any HF stands they might be the pair that I bought to support the lawn tractor front suspension when I am sharpening the blades. I will have to check on those and see who made them.

That being said, I still use wooden stands that were created by screwing and glueing 2X4 lumber together that fit the tire diameters well. A set of those go under the rear tires and 2nd set goes under front tires AFTER I have the rear axle on the 6 ton stands. I use a floor jack to raise the front suspension (jack under the engine crossmember) so at some point I can remove the floor jack for other tasks and the vehicle is at the proper height to do transmission/clutch/bellhousing work. I have a transmission stand I made to raise the Nash Trans to the correct height to go on the guide pins installed in the Lakewood bellhousing. A very safe way to install stuff. I have stored my car that way for many years as plastic sheeting keeps the moisture away from the bottom of the chassis (concrete floor), and the height of the wooden stands and 6 ton stands keep the bottom of the car above the moisture vapor height always in a garage in the winter months. Carpet and mats just get wet from Michigan snow.

Buy the best stands (or make the best stands) you can afford. I have never regretted buying those 6 ton stands.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.