View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Mike here, this is a correction to the last post: It also turns out that the 1967, as I have read, uses the 34 element Sprag clutch behind the Direct Hub and a roller Clutch in front of the Reaction carrier, and they were correct, in my case. The 1967 factory-built TH 400 was built tough in those days. Also, I would like to say that my Main shaft is 0.0075 larger in diameter, adding to the overall Trans. durability. Also, the 1967 uses three roller Bearings like the Torrington ones in the back half of the Trans for less friction.

Please buyer beware, that I purchased the Forward Hub, that is Billet steel and came with two Bearings from Trans parts ware house, inc. that was not labeled that it is for the TH 400 with .970" Major diameter and mine is the 1967 rare big block one that has a .980 " Major diameter. Unlike Sonnax that makes the customer aware of that difference, but there's only uses one roller bearing and they widen the Forward Hub they make to lessen the amount of forward endplay in the Trans. when rebuilding. Now, I ask to return the wrong part to the Trans parts ware house, inc. and they make me pay to send it back at my own expense, $16.00, and I was very clear about the year of my Trans. I spoke to the sales man Robert Gull who insisted I pay for the return even though the customer is right or so I live by that rule. He sends me to Nick the manager who is also insisting I pay to return the wrong part. I said let me speak to the owner and Nick said that he is on vacation until next year and is not available to help me anyway. What about Transparency in business? Be honest, I said and eat the return, it is the wise move to make here. I will be going on your face book page and since you're the distributor I will also go on TCS performance Transmission products Facebook page because they also do not worn the public about the two different shaft diameters.

It seems that they group 1964, 65,66,67 up to 1998 as using the smaller diameter shaft without letting the consumer in on the difference, HUMM!!!! At the time of my purchase, I did not Know the difference between the Sonnax and TCS Forward Hubs, so if I had purchased the one by Sonnax without measureing the Major diameter, I would be at fault. However, that is not the case, nor am I supposed to anticipate anything between two separate manufactures, am I? So, I am waiting for the $160.00 to be returned to my account as we speak. Now, I cleaned up my own Forward Hub and Direct Hub/Forward pressure plate for service back where they came from, in my Trans. It turns out that they can take the heat generated with in the Trans. after the accident that caused this rebuild and only the Clutches and Steels suffered unusable consequences. For now, I am working on the outside of the Aluminum Case to rid it of casting defects by sanding and grinding any imperfections on the exterior. I still would like to find a set of Bearings for the Forward Hub in case anyone knows from what Trans. they come in, perhaps the best thing is to call sonnax?

After I take down the High areas on the Case, I will fill in the lows with some Bondo and Nitro Stain for a professional looking Case, sanding with the appropriate grit sand papers and primer prior to final painting. At this time, I closed the case with the pump and gasket and all internal parts to find I have .040" tolerance total front endplay to deal with. Thus, if I want, I can simply use the proper Phenolic thrust washer behind the Pump to keep the forward half's endplay within (.002" - .005") greater than the rears .008" as it stands now. If I find Bearings for the front half then I will consider that in my computations.

The Following User Says Thank You to TRADERMIKE 2012 For This Useful Post: