View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Wouldn't it be ENORMOUSLY easier to go to any local trans shop, and get the "other" main shaft from a core transmission? Is there more to the swap than just crammin' in another main shaft? I've never dealt with that. Didn't know there was a difference until now.
Every part on the Main shaft would have to be replaced in that case, the Ring gear is where the Main Shaft ends and attaches to the (through) the Direct Drum and into the Forward Hub, it is better for me to use the Factory Thrust washers that came in the rebuild kit, instead. I am hoping that the sonnax one fits, but I won't hold my breath, because most aftermarket manufactures build in volume to supply the most commonly used parts and you can't blame them for that, after all they have to sell these parts and since I have the rare Main shaft, I lose.
It also turns out that the 1967, as I have read, uses the 34 roller clutch behind the Direct Hub and a sprag at the Reaction carrier, and they were correct, in my case. The 1967 factory-built TH 400 was built tough in those days. Also, I would like to say that my Main shaft is 0.0075 larger in diameter, adding to the overall Trans. durability.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 11-21-2022 at 07:39 PM.