View Single Post
Old 02-09-2022, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
I own the 1967 TH400 with the Rectangular Filter and it is Metal with a 4" tube, I read that they are cleanable.
Buy a newer pan, a valve body filter bolt, drill and tap one hole. Convert to the newer filter and fluid tube.

GM did.

I use double O-rings on the pump end of the fluid tube.

Quote:
that Gray Silt, I read is called "Stiction"
That's not my definition of "stiction". That's what I call "debris". A small amount is not alarming. A small amount is totally normal.

Quote:
and is in solution to help the used Clutches as they ware over time to have a little more material to grab to the Metal disc.
HELL, NO. I've heard that story before. I don't know who invented it, but they should be beaten briskly about the head and shoulders.

Any grit in the fluid will destroy the soft-metal bushings, the roller thrust bearings, and the soft plastic thrust washers. Grit would score shafts and harm the geartrain. it would wear the pump, and the valves in the valve body, especially those transmissions that have an aluminum valve body. It does NOTHING beneficial. If you're lucky, it settles-out in the pan overnight never to be picked-up again.

Quote:
I read the literature on the side of the Fix-it bottles and one said it removes the Stiction from the surface of the Trans. Case.
Maybe. I suspect they'll claim anything if it helps sell the product.

Quote:
Would you know if my particular Trans. Filter has a screen inside or should I just open one of the old ones to see?
Doesn't matter. Convert to the newer filter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: