View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I clamp 2 trust main caps together, insert some stock 400 thrust bearings and make shims. Makes nice looking shims, and easy to machine. I have one with a cut down N crank to do coming up, waiting on pistons. I think I spent an extra $50 over a normal crank grind to take the Mains to 3”. I cut the seal surface down in our lathe, that is what adds up if you have a shop cut the seal surface down. They have to change to a narrower stone. I have some defunct Olds Deisel stuff in storage, haven’t even had to buy bearings. The Olds Diesels used full grooved H series clevites and had a really nice looking thrust surfaces with better oiling than a standard 400bearing. The one coming up I found a N crank from a 455 for $75 on Craigslist, and spent another $50 to put in the 400. Have the shop do large fillets and clean up and debur the casting flashes. Pretty tough set up, I know of one running 600 HP and has a 200 shot of NOS on top of that. Mine I have done are about 600 hp. I run one that I had offset ground to 4.25” stroke and BBC RJ’s., no big deal with a good shop.
cant see it is there a shim on each side ????