View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 05:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I agree Tom. I think what's happened in the past is the seats have been opened up to a large bowl diameter in high RPM race engines using solid roller cams and bigger spring pressure. The seat fell out, was sliced in pieces by the valve and things went down hill from there. As far as the warning signs I agree. I always thought the same in regards to the 4500's with internal linkage. An awful lot of "safety plates" were sold that would prevent that linkage from falling into a running engine and causing damage. I always figured one would get a warning sign or two before that happened.

As far as Edelbrock goes, for a while I really wasn't sure if they would ever produce another Pontiac head. The good news is they will, I'm still not sure how the quality will be. I'm sure you heard as many rumors as I have so no point discussing them. But one I did hear from a trusted source was once they finally decided to move the entire operation to Olive Branch Missisppi they offered all the "key folks" a company paid relocation and not a single person accepted.
Agree, I would not want to move to Mississippi either.

As far as the Dominator internal linkage goes. I have never, in my lifetime, 70+ years seen a "as built by Holley" Dominator carb FAIL the linkage in that area. But if you are a racer and change the linkage cam to the other style and you are on your 1st "modified" Dominator carb, the issue is on you, not Holley.

Post by a very good friend in Oregon who goes by Yeti or Tuner on the boards.

"
1-to-1 throttles must be synchronized perfectly or there will be a problem with stumble and surge in the very small throttle opening range just above idle. Also, 1-to-1 requires more precision and attention to detail in tuning 4 or 8 idle circuits - and butterflies and T-slots - instead of only 2. Anybody who’s ever synchronized multiple Weber or SU carbs understands the importance of precision throttle linkage set-up.

Forty+ years ago the old 6214 and 6464 carbs had 1-to-1 linkage because they were the (perceived to be) ideal tunnel ram carbs and at the outset with the 6214 the intention was to be used on independent runner intakes like a set of Weber 48IDA’s.

I’ve used the 1-to-1 linkage with success but it requires great drama and patience to get the internal linkage perfectly set so turning the primary idle speed screw moves both primary and secondary equally and - more important - the off-idle range is perfectly symmetrical. That’s fine and dandy for about a month of street driving, after which the little bit of wear and settling in of all the moving parts, links, shafts, little roller wheels and such, causes the synchronization to get out of whack. 1-to-1 would work fine with symmetrical external linkage of the Enderle sort with turnbuckles which provide precision adjustment and easy maintenance.

On the other hand, in carb tuning there is nothing wrong with trying everything you can think of as long as you can easily go back if it doesn’t work out." (end of post by Yeti/Tuner)

I would recommend the Safety Plates for anyone who touched the Dominator Carbs internal linkage. The external linkage carb is a great set-up and should have been purchased anytime you feel the need to play with your carb's internal linkage. But people buy a swap meet Dominator and proceed to mess with it and then chit happens.

Tom V.

ps people found out when you go IR that you need MUCH BIGGER CARBS vs a 1150 Dominator on a IR set-up.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: