View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Thanks for the post Paul K.

I would say, based on your post above, that there is a chance that could happen.
Not sure as far as the "falling out of a head" part though.
Last time I looked when the valve was installed in the head the valve head was bigger vs the seat ID. And if the seat moved down in the head I would assume you would have some valve train noise, be it a solid cam, hydraulic roller, or a solid roller. The valve would still be trapped by the valve seat and vice-versa and the spring pressure would return the seat to the bottom of the pocket when the valve closed each time, right?
And make NOISE?

I try to describe how things actually work in an engine.

Sorry to hear that Edelbrock has not let you sell heads, but in order to sell heads you would have to have received heads, correct. I think when Vic, JR and Cami cashed out, all bets were basically off. Know nothing about the current company.

Unless you are hard of hearing, like me, or ignoring normal inspections of the engine, chassis, etc a person would notice the warning signs (before a valve seat fell out of a head) could actually happen.

Just saying. But there is always an exception I suppose with a head used in a race application. Lot better heads out there for a race application.

Tom V.
I agree Tom. I think what's happened in the past is the seats have been opened up to a large bowl diameter in high RPM race engines using solid roller cams and bigger spring pressure. The seat fell out, was sliced in pieces by the valve and things went down hill from there. As far as the warning signs I agree. I always thought the same in regards to the 4500's with internal linkage. An awful lot of "safety plates" were sold that would prevent that linkage from falling into a running engine and causing damage. I always figured one would get a warning sign or two before that happened.

As far as Edelbrock goes, for a while I really wasn't sure if they would ever produce another Pontiac head. The good news is they will, I'm still not sure how the quality will be. I'm sure you heard as many rumors as I have so no point discussing them. But one I did hear from a trusted source was once they finally decided to move the entire operation to Olive Branch Missisppi they offered all the "key folks" a company paid relocation and not a single person accepted.

Last edited by PAUL K; 12-03-2022 at 04:03 PM.