View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Aside from getting under the car and inspecting the torque converter and trying to find a part number, there's no real way to go about finding out what's in there. You can try to measure the diameter and that might give you an idea of what the torque converter, may have capability wise, but that's just trying to make a complete guess a little more educated.

I think steve25 is probably correct here in that you've got more than just an ultra-tight torque converter. The cam is likely all wrong for the application as well.

Since you've done pretty much the entire top-end plus ignition, exhaust and a gear upgrade, I would take that information and talk with a few people (Butler, Kauffman etc. whoever you feel comfortable with) and get a cam recommendation. Do the cam and get a converter matched to the combination at the same time.

I have one of TSP's "Tight" 9" converters and it's quite a bit better than the old B&M holeshot 2000 converter I had behind my aluminum headed 455. While that tight B&M unit wasn't well suited to my engine, it never left me feeling like the car was slow. If I was at lower revs in 2nd or 3rd gear you could tell the engine wanted some extra rpm and torque multiplication, but never sluggish.