View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Oxy acetylene cutting torch, or a plasma torch and burn the head off of the bolts, done in 2 minutes, been there, done that, dozens of times. Living in the rust belt, twisting wrenches for a living, necessitates a cutting torch. Having always had access to a cutting torch, makes working on old cars so much easier, and faster. For heating up rusty bolts to remove them, or severing them when they're too rusty to save. I can't fathom working on cars without one. My last major purchase for the garage was a plasma torch, having both now is the height of using heat for disassembly of rusted parts.

If you think you'll ever have to remove them again, the never seize is invaluable.
Rusty, horrible, frozen fasteners are a way of life as mentioned above. I have worked on vehicles only 3-4 years old where cutting bolts off was the only option. That being said, my use of heat and a torch, especially for cutting is always my last choice. I am always so concerned and worried about catching the car on fire. You just have to be so very careful of oily, greasy parts. Rubber lines, undercoating, carpet and insulation, wire conduit. So much stuff that can ignite and get quickly out of hand and you may not have time to put it out quickly enough. I have personally seen 3 cars catch on fire to the point they were completely burned to the ground. The worst was a Buick GN that burned at a local dealership. The technician was seriously injured, and the dealer service area also suffered substantial damage. Be very careful using a torch. Often the only way to get these old cars apart.