Thread: WIW 70 Formula
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All important engine function are available on the EZ EFI handheld, except for oil pressure, so I decided to try to get the gauges working before I let the engine run for any length of time. I'm confident that everything's OK, but better to be safe than sorry!

Unfortunately, I ran into a snag. For some reason the main Digital Dakota box is making a high pitched squeal when I connect it to the gauges...spent an hour on the phone with tech support, but they're not sure what's wrong. They're sending me a new connector harness and we'll go from there.

In the interim I got a few other things sorted out. RH headlight and parking lamp were not working. I assumed the issues were related because they're on the same side and spent an hour thinking about how this could be given that the side marker worked and grounds were secured to the same screw. Turns out, two completely different issues. The Dapper headlight connector was plugged in the wrong way. Even though polarity matters, the plug goes on either way and markings are faint, but silly mistake on my part. The park lamp was more challenging. The socket on the aftermarket housing was messed up. The connector buttons on the bottom of the socket were frozen and would not spring up against the bulb when inserted into the socket. I ended up having to pull the pins out of the socket and bend them slightly. I thought I had an extra set of parking lamp housings on my shelf. Although they look correct, I noticed they only had the two leads on the socket (no negative). Does anyone know what these are these for?

I also spent some time sorting out the wipers. The way I had them wired, there were two issues (a) off was all the way to the right, on was all the way to the left, and (b) there was no low speed. I reversed the two outside wires on the motor, which took care of issue a. Issue b had me stumped but then I remembered that the wiper switch housing needed to be grounded. That took care of b.

All for now. Going to work on my son's car today.