View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM

2cnd part

In your case, we know SY was included because you have the Build Sheet.

Looking at the Manifest, there is just the slightest hint that there is a mark under the SY and in the same horizontal line as the typed numerals and asterisks for all other included options on your car.

I remain convinced that SY/60 is for the Floor Console and the Sales Code for it is 601, same Sales Code used for it in '64.

If I am correct, that faint mark under it on the Manifest is an Asterisk (*), as would be expected because this Option is Standard Content in the GP.

None of the other Additional Options have any apparent marks below them, for either the ones listed alongside SY/60 or for those Additional Options listed in the Line below.

So my assumption is that these additional Codes reflect available options (whether considered Regular or Special Equipment). It would have been expedient to have these options listed this way rather than create a new Form I suppose.

The Numeric Codes under the Alpha Codes would identify the Box no. that these Options are associated with. The Box no. would form the first two digits of the Sales Code. Some of these possible Options might be deduced from '64 Sales Codes, such as I have done for the Console.

For Example, the next Additional code after SY/60 is I?/53 (2nd character after I is illegible). It was pretty routine for Pontiac to offer Tinted Glass- All Windows. Your GP has this Option, Sales Code 531. Alpha code I. Pre-printed Option on the Manifest.

But at least as far back as '57, they offered a 2nd Option, Tinted Glass-Windshield Only.

In '64, this was Sales Code 532. If your car had been equipped with this Option instead of Tinted Glass-All Windows, then a "2" would undoubtedly have been coded under the typed I?/53. The Box 53 EZI-Glass Option would have been blank. Your Build Sheet would not have had the "I" coded between the LL & QX. Instead, the "I?" code would have followed the SY on the Build Sheet.

I won't claim that I can determine the correlation of each of these Additional Options, but I suspect that with additional research, some correlations would be obvious.

I have figured out the description of each Pre-Printed Option on the Manifest. Some of the more difficult that we have unraveled are:

Box 59, Code CC is MAGI-CRUISE CONTROL
Box 59, Code X is "GUIDE-MATIC H/L"
Box 60, Code GR "ENGINE CRANKCASE VENT
Box 60, Code M is "ELECT. CLOCK"
Box 61, no Alpha Code, might be "SAFEGRD SPDO & FUEL LAMP KILO", the Export version of the Safeguard Speedometer Option.

Mike, I edited some things based on things we figured out after I sent this to John T. I also removed comments not related to the decode.

What follows are some things that were posted at PY that may also be useful to others and remained valid. Again, edit where necessary.

These codes are obviously the old alpha Accessory Code format, at least thru '58, the Accessorizer listed the options according to these 1 & 2 character codes. I'm sure some of them were coded the same in '62 as they had been in '58. These alpha Codes did not appear in the '62 Accessorizer, nor were the numeric Sales Codes indicated. But since both appear on the Doraville Pontiac Manifest Form, it is easy to decipher the Build Sheet codes from what is found on the Manifest.

Some of these alpha Codes are also found in the Doraville Body Data Plate, but not enough to be useful for a complete decode of the Build Sheet.

Sales Code 411, alpha Code KK is shown on the Manifest as being the Rear Seat Foam Cushion option. It is not clear if this was truly extra foam cushion in the Rear Seat. It is indicated by asterisk to be standard content for the GP Model. In all likelihood, this designated the Fold Down Rear Armrest seat configuration that was part of the standard GP seat configuration rather than extra foam cushion.

Front Seat Foam Cushion was a Pontiac option in '62 but only provided for the full bench seat. Not applicable to Bucket Seats and was not coded for the GP with Bucket Seats.

According to the Manifest, Sales Code 392, alpha Code ES identifies the Super Deluxe Pushbutton AM Radio with Electric Antenna. The GP included the Rear Seat Speaker Grille, but did not automatically include the Rear Seat Speaker. This GP did not have the Rear Seat Speaker option.

I suspect this car was optioned with some of the Accessory Group options.

The Super Deluxe Radio was part of the Basic Group option package.

I don't know the entire make-up of the Basic Group option package, but I suspect your GP was ordered with it.

This GP has the Visor Vanity Mirror, the Remote O/S Mirror, & the Tilting Non-Glare Inside Mirror. These 3 options comprised the Mirror Group option package.

You also have all of the individual options that comprised the Lamp Group option package, so likely the Lamp Group was ordered.

The '62 GP came standard with the Center Console and Console Mounted Tach (Auto Trans and Man Trans).

Mike, I think what follows was the most interesting info I posted at PY, but it was not completely accurate. I will cut out what was determined to be untrue and leave as much of it as possible.

You can then post as much of this entire story as you see fit. Hope it helps somebody else.

I do believe I have figured out your SY code. To keep you in suspense, more on that in a minute.

I'm sure there was some transitioning of code formats. Chevy had been using a 3 digit Sales Code for ordering at least as far back as '61. Olds was still using the 1 or 2 character alpha/numeric Code system for ordering in '62.

Pontiac also was using a similar 3 digit numeric Option ordering system as Chevy at least as early as '61. The numeric codes for a given option were different between the two Divisions, '64 Tempests built at Chevy Plants in KC & Balt. were translated from the Pontiac Sales Codes to the Chevy Sales Codes for the build order. Even PHS doesn't yet know how to translate the Chevy docs for these builds.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill