View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have sent you an email thru PY. It might be easier to continue this discussion by email.

I do believe I have figured out your SY code. To keep you in suspense, more on that in a minute.

I'm sure there was some transitioning of code formats. Chevy had been using a 3 digit Sales Code for ordering at least as far back as '61. Olds was still using the 1 or 2 character alpha/numeric Code system for ordering in '62.

Pontiac also was using a similar 3 digit numeric Option ordering system as Chevy at least as early as '61. The numeric codes for a given option were different between the two Divisions, '64 Tempests built at Chevy Plants in KC & Balt. were translated from the Pontiac Sales Codes to the Chevy Sales Codes for the build order. Even PHS doesn't yet know how to translate the Chevy docs for these builds.

Doraville was a B-O-P controlled Plant, but Chevys were also built there at least in '64 (model production shifted from Plant to Plant as GM needed). Oldsmobiles for sure were being built at Doraville in '62.

In '64, Doraville used GMs UPC system for identifying Options on the Manifest. The UPC system was also used by the B-O-P Plant at Fremont in '64.

But in '62, Doraville continued to Code the older style 1 & 2 alpha/numeric Option codes, but the Manifests actually translated these Order codes to a 3 digit numeric code. Oldsmobile had their own set of 3 digit codes, Pontiac theirs.

I have yet to find the '62 Pontiac numeric Codes. Fortunately, they appear little, if at all, changed from '64 which I do have. That helps.

The layout of the Doraville Manifest is pretty straightforward. It is even easier to translate than the '62 Manifest used at the Pontiac Plant. At the Pontiac Plant, each numbered Box had just one spot for a Code. As many as 3 Options were coded in a single Box (a 4th option would have meant the possibility of a double digit code in the Box which Pontiac intentionally avoided).

At Doraville, each Option had its own Code Box. For example, Option Codes 481, 482, and 484 are all individually coded on your Doraville Manifest. And each Code is identified in words and the corresponding old format code for that option is also identified. If the code numeral is typed in the box for that option, the car was built with it. No brainer.

But at the Pontiac Plant, there is only one Box labeled 48. There is no verbiage associated with the Box and there is no old style code associated with the Box.

If the Box is Blank, the car had none of the 3 Lamp otions. If there was a "1" in the Box, the car was built with only the Luggage & Utility Lamp.

If it had a "2" in the Box, it was built with only the Glove Box Lamp. A "4" meant it had only the Dome & Reading Lamp.

In order to code combinations of these 3 options, the codes were additive. A "3" meant you got "1" & "2". A "5" meant you got "1" & "4". A "6" meant you got "2" & "4". A "7" meant you got all 3 options.

The basic Doraville Manifest was organized with the Options that were listed on the Regular big Pontiac Order Form.

But you could also specify some special things such as an Axle Ratio preference or a Special Paint Color.

Now I can't tell you exactly how this was done in '62, but I assume it was the same as was done in '64.

These things would be ordered by handwritten instructions in a Special Instructions Box for that purpose on a separate Form called the "All Series Special Equipment Order" form. There was most likely a check off box on the Regular Order Form that indicated that a Special Equipment Order was included.

The ASSE Order Form didn't just allow you to specify axle ratios and special paint colors.

On this Form was a long list of Special Equipment Options, each with their own 3 digit numeric Order Code and presumably each that could be translated to the older alpha/numeric code format.

Some of the available Special Equipment Options included special Group options like Trailer Group option, Taxi Group option, and Police Group option.

Individual Special Equipment Options included HD Radiator, HD Frame, HD Alternator, special Tire Options, and Special Engine Options such as the Economy Engine Option.

The oldest example of an ASSE Order Form that exists to my knowledge is the '65 Form. In '65, you could order a Heavy Duty Hydramatic for any big Pontiac. '65 was the first year for the TH-400 as the std. Auto Trans option for the big Pontiac (the Super Hydramatic for the long wheelbase or the Roto Hydramatic for the short wheelbase models were discontinued). So I don't know what the HD Hydramatic got you in '65.

I mention it because you stated your Roto Hydramatic is a HD version. It is possible that this was offered as a Special Equipment option in '62.

These Special Equipment Options were coded in the open space at the end of the second line on the Doraville Manifests, where you indicate SY is typed on your Manifest.

And below it typed 60.

That is not unrelated.

What that is telling you is that the Special Equipment Option that is identified by SY was given a numeric Sales Code by Pontiac that would have been coded in Box 60.

Unfortunately, the 3rd digit is not given and of course they didn't bother to type out the full option description such as is conveniently pre-printed for all of the regular options.

I do not trust the accuracy of the repro Window Stickers. But for sake of discussion, the Window Sticker only should itemize the Extra Cost options. There would also be verbiage on the Window Sticker that says something to the effect:

"Special Accessories, Options, & Equipment that are extra cost on some models are standard on this model" followed by a list of those items. For the Grand Prix, these items include Electric Clock, Bucket Seats, etc.

But the Manifest has still identified these items.

You did not yet tell me if for instance the Bucket Seats are called out with a "2" typed in the Box for Sales Code 562, Code SZ or if perhaps there is an Asterisk "*" in that Box instead.

It makes no difference, either way, we know the car was built with Bucket Seats. But the asterisk may have been used to code the inclusion while indicating at the same time that this was not an Extra Cost option to be itemized on the Window Sticker or added to the Dealer Invoice.

If the asterisks were used (Doraville did use them to indicate standard content options on the '62 Oldsmobile Manifests), then you should find an asterisk instead of the numeral in the boxes for Sales Code 402/K Dual Speed Wipers, Sales Code 424/JX Instrument Panel Pad, Sales Code 461/H Deluxe Steering Wheel, Sales Code 464/DM Decor Moldings, Sales Code 511/LL Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 562/SZ Bucket Seats, and Sales Code 604/M Electric Clock. Perhaps also for the Code KK (unsure of the Sales Code, perhaps 412?) and possibly the Sales Code 491/HH Courtesy Lamps also. Any others?

I was apparently mistaken about the Vac Gauge usage for '62, was true in '63 for the GP. Made a wrong assumption.

In the '62 GP, the Tach was mounted to the Top Front Molding of the Floor Console and apparently used with the Man Trans and Auto Trans applications.

This is anticlimatic, but I do believe the Special Equipment Option identified on your Doraville Manifest by Code SY/60 is the Floor Console.

The Console was standard equipment in the GP, so would not have been listed as an Extra Cost option on the Window Sticker, rather as a standard content item for the Model.

The Floor Console was identified by Sales Code 601 in '64, I believe that like the other Sales Codes you have listed for '62 which match the Codes used in '64, it also would have been Code 601 in '62.

In addition, I am assuming Code 601 is NOT listed as an identified Regular option on the Doraville Manifest.

I believe the Floor Console must have been listed on the All Series Special Equipment Order form that year.

Only 3 individual options could be coded in each Box and the ones that are likely indicated as the Box 60 Options on the Manifest as preprinted would be Code 602 for the LH Outside Rearview Mirror (manual adjust type) and Code 604 for the Electric Clock.

Since your car got the Code 444 Remote Control O/S Rearview Mirror, it would not have gotten Code 602, they were obviously mutually exclusive.

And although you have not yet indicated the numeric Sales Code for the Electric Clock since it was standard equipment in the '62 GP, I am fairly confident I have the Code correct for it.

Since you have not identified an Option Code for the Console, I am fairly confident it must have been considered a Special Equipment option. And since I know it was Code 601 in '64, I am fairly confident that it is the option indicated by the SY/60 Special Equipment Option coded on your Manifest.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: