View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

Default more on codes

Good afternoon John V, Thanks for all the info. Finally got out in the garage today & got the info off the data plate. I think you're refering to the small plate attached to the cowl just in front of the driver's side winshield. Not much on there but here's what it list's:
o4A
style 62-2947 body BA 1963
trim 289-1 paint A1A
ACC FRQXN 1
That's it. Not much more than we already knew. In a previous post I mentioned what all the code's translated to in Pontiac term's. Not sure if Olds used the same code's though. I did look again at the second J code & suspect it's the automatic tranny. That letter is listed on the very top line of the PHS sheet. The J1 doesn't show up on the build sheet. I checked it out very closely & there's no number one beside the J code. The repro price sticker I have does use the number code's rather than the letter's as the PHS document does. Apparently '62 was a cross over year using both letter & number code's. All very confusing.
The car was built in Doraville, Ga. on March 26. 1962 & sold by Taber Pontiac of Atlanta but have no idea when. That dealership has been out of business for at least 20 year's. Tried to contact anyone involved with Tabor by actually writing letter's & making phone call's to anyone with the name Taber in the Atlanta area but no success there. I have a friend in that area that sent me a phone book page. At the time there were 86 people with the name Taber in the area. Got reponse's from 6. Even sent a SASE along for a reponse. Not too good on the return's.
The radio is the typical AM push button, (not a wonderbar) with no rear seat speaker. Leave's that out too. It does have the vanity mirror.
I believe the tach was standard on all Pontiac's in '62. To my knowledge, the vacum gauge wasn't an option until '63 & then the tach was moved to the dash left of the steering wheel. The advertising I have state's the tach is included & no other option available. Was also standard on the GP.
The car does NOT have the following:
power seat
safegard speedo or low fuel warning
floor mat's(at least from the factory)
head light control
It does have white wall's.
As you can see the code SY is a real stumper. I've been trying to figure it out for year's without success. If Taber was still in business maybe that would be different. Do you know of any old time Pontiac dealership that may still have the code book?
I'm sure some of the option's on this car are part of a package too but they are called out as seperate item's on the build sheet & the PHS document as well.
Let's go another step further. I'll send along the info from the repro price sticker I ordered several year's ago. Maybe this will help:
cordova top(no code listed)
392 radio-elec-ant.-super deluxe
421 washer-winshield
431 air-cleaner-hd
441 mirror-visor vanity
442 mirror-inside non-glare tilt
444 mirror-outside remote control
471 lamp's back up
481 lamp-utility
482 lamp-glove box
484 lamp-dome-reading
491 lamps-courtesy
492 lamps-ash tray & cig lighter
494 lamp-parking brake
501 pwr-strng-wdr touch
502 pwr brks-wdr touch
531 glass-soft-ray-all
551 pow win lifts-4-way
581 air cond-circ-l-aire
18J hydramatic trans
691 differ-saf-t-track
694 whls,drums,hubs-alum
T32 wsw 850X14 4 ply ray
Just a foot note; the 8 lug wheel option was $107.50!!!! can you believe that? Can't even buy the trim ring's for that today.
The car has the "slim jim" tranny but I think it's been replaced at one time. There are four different one's & this is the heavy dutty designed for police & ambulance. A normal GP wouldn't have had that option installed since it's got 14" wheel's & not the heavy duty 15". Lot's of additional info for more thought. Thanks for the help.