View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CCGP, well I don't give up so easy! I'm not solely relying on the '58 codes to decode your list.

Not sure you understood my comment about Code J1.

Since you listed Code J twice, I speculated that one of these is actually coded J1, the "1" perhaps unclear.

Since the car is known to be equipped with the Cordova Top option and since J1 is possibly the Code for this option, it would make sense that the J1 is coded and unlikely that J is coded twice. J1 was the code used in '62 by Oldsmobile for the Vinyl Top option.

Rear Seat Foam Cushion was an option with Code KK is '58. However, I'm not so sure this was an available option in '62. I can't find evidence of it. I'd be more apt to believe it indicates the Rear Armrest, although I'm not sure that was an option that could be separately ordered. It was just part of the standard GP seat configuration. Is there something on the PHS that establishes this Code? Perhaps it designated the GP Rear Seat configuration altogether, with the Fold Down Arm Rest and Rear Speaker Grille? Olds had a Code K6 in '62 that was used to designate what they called a "Divided Second Seat". Only some of the '62 Olds Codes match up to the '62 Pontiac Codes, so this clue proves little or nothing. Other Olds Codes were used from K1 to K9 that don't seem to have any connection to Pontiac K Codes. Olds did offer the Rear Seat Foam Cushion in '62.

Front Seat Foam Cushion was a Pontiac option in '62 but only provided for the full bench seat. Not applicable to Bucket Seats to my knowledge.

You're really making me guess without benefit of seeing the Data Plate, the PHS document, or confirming how the car is actually equipped, LOL!

You say ES identifies the Power Antenna? What about the Radio and Speaker? Does the car have the Wonderbar Radio option or the Super Deluxe Radio option? Separa-Phonic Rear Seat Speaker?

I suspect this car was optioned with some of the Accessory Group options.

The Super Deluxe Radio was part of the Basic Group option package.

The Wonderbar Radio was part of the Deluxe Basic Group option package.

I don't know the entire make-up of either package, but I suspect your GP was ordered with one or the other.

You apparently have the Remote O/S Mirror & the Tilting Non-Glare Inside Mirror.

What about the Visor Vanity Mirror? If so, that is the 3rd option that comprised the Mirror Group option package.

It seems you have all 6 of the individual options that comprised the Lamp Group option package, so likely the Lamp Group was ordered.

In order to try and isolate what Code SY may have connected to, I'd still be interested in the codes on the Data Plate.

From your posts already, there is really only one option that the car apparently did not get, Power Seats. I guess I also know it has 8 lugs, so it did not have any of the Wheel Disc options.

The GP came standard I believe with the Center Console w/ Tach if Man Trans or w/ Vac Gauge if Auto Trans. I wonder if that is coded?

To narrow down some of the remaining possibilities from the full list of available '62 Pontiac Options, which of these options is your GP equipped with:

Automatic Trans
Engine Option
Safe-T-Track Differential
Magi-Cruise Cruise Control
Door Edge Guards
Safeguard Speedometer W/ Low Fuel Lamp (this was part of the Safety Group option package together with the I.P. Pad option and the Windshield Washer option. The I.P. Pad was standard content in the GP and you do have the Windshield Washer. If this 3rd option was included, then the car also was ordered with the Safety Group option package, and likely this option must have a Code)
Floor Mats (not sure about '62 but usually offered as either Front Only or Front & Rear. Floor Mats were also part of the Protection Group option package with Door Edge Guards and Spare Tire Cover)
Guide-Matic Headlamp Control
White Sidewall Tires

Unless you say otherwise, I'm pretty sure this car was not built at the Pontiac Plant.

Maybe South Gate, this Plant was still using the old format in '62 and Fisher-South Gate coded the Olds Data Plates with such codes where they affected the Body Assembly. SY on the Data Plate or not may help narrow the search.

I'm leaning to a connection to the Front Console.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: