View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile 62 build sheet info

CCGP, you didn't indicate what options you've already figured out.

Do any of them show an asterisk ahead of the code, suggesting perhaps that the item is standard content?

Where was the car final assembled? If the Pontiac Plant, are the options coded by numeric Sales Codes in Boxes 38 thru 78 on the PHS doument? If yes, what is coded in the Box labeled GRPS?

These codes are obviously the old Accessory Code format, at least thru '58, the Accessorizer listed the options according to these 1 & 2 character codes. I'm sure some of them were coded the same in '62 as they had been in '58. Not sure if these codes will appear in a '62 Accessorizer, by then, I think the options were identified by the 3 digit numeric Sales Code, so it may be that the Build Sheet was coded with an old format system while the Manifest record was coded with the numeric Sales Codes.

I suspect your GP was ordered with 1 or more Accessory Group options. That may be indicated on the PHS doc in the GRPS box.

It would be helpful to know if any of these codes are also found on the Body Data Plate.

I'm gonna post what I think some of these things decode to, even though I may be way off base so you can critique what I have uncovered and see what if any of it matches to the car and/or the PHS.

716=Does this match to the Body No. on the Data Plate perhaps?
1962-2947='62 Grand Prix Style Code
AA=Lower Body Color Starlight Black/Upper Body Color Starlight Black
289=Black Imitation Leather (vinyl) Interior Trim, specific to bucket seat GP
TOP-1=Ivory Cordova Top
ES=
K=
KK=
G=Windshield Washer Option
JX=Instrument Panel Pad (may have been standard content in the GP)
FC=HD Air Cleaner & Silencer
J=Parking Brake Lamp. J is listed twice, perhaps one of these is actually coded:
J1=possibly Cordova Top Option
JJ=Inside Non-Glare Tilting Mirror
G2=Two Speed Windshield Wipers
H=Custom Steering Wheel
DM=
F=Back-up Lamps
GY=Luggage & Utility (reel out) Lamp
FX=Glove Compartment Lamp
FR=possibly for the Dome Reading Lamp or the Remote Control Outside Mirror
HH=Courtesy Lamps
HX=Ash Tray Lamps
J=Parking Brake Lamp. J is listed twice, perhaps one of these is actually coded:
J1=possibly Cordova Top Option
CL=possibly a combination to indicate Power Steering (C) and Power Brakes (L)
LL=Dual Exhausts
I=Soft Ray Glass, All Windows
QX=Power Windows
SZ=
QC=Deluxe Floor Carpet
N=Air Conditioning
M=Electric Clock
AB=possibly to indicate Auto Trans
SY=

If the 8 lugs were a factory option, I'm guessing one of the codes points to that. Also, I'm guessing it has a factory radio option and possibly a rear speaker option, codes probably listed for them as well. Any codes on the Data Plate will probably help establish the codes that affected the Body Assembly vs. those that did not.

Last edited by John V.; 01-26-2009 at 05:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: