View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My whole thing for liking Dodge was spurred on by GM killing Pontiac right at around the time the Challenger came out.

Yes, it's a big car compared to the other "pony" cars, but it has ample room for front AND rear passengers, looks cool and isn't a slug;
It really helps that they have had some fun advertising in the years leading up to Pontiac's demise, and continue to be the only ones having fun...

My brothers are both, like me, Pontiac guys who have been forced to move on;
One of them at first balked at the Shelby cars, but had a change of heart shortly after Pontiac was killed off and bought a GT500;
A couple years later he rented a Challenger maybe because I told him how much fun I had with the first one I rented (rental fleet Challengers are always V6/auto, or R/T-5.7l/auto cars) - Unsurprisingly he complained that it wasn't nearly quick enough to match looks and sound;
but he was comparing against a lighter car with a six speed manual and wayy more horsepower, so I wasn't too surprised by his assessment.

If I was to buy a new car, there is only one model that appeals to me, and by the sounds of things, Dodge is short on time for holding my interest (if I have understood correct, they are going full electric for their performance cars VERY soon).

My previous bias towrads GM made me incline to give the Camaro an honest shake, but lack of useable rear seat room and the terrible rear visibility made me strike it off the list.
Because of my turbo-4 "compromise car" I have kept an eye on the turbo-4 cars too - I don't know why GM put out a turbo-four Camaro, and by all accounts made it so "bland" - It's as though GM laid off all performance minded people from their design departments.
I briefly was in a turbo-four cylinder Mustang rental, and my assessment was that my Cobalt would easily embarrass it... which I think says alot considering how close to stock my Cobalt remains.

At one time, you could walk into a Pontiac dealership and there would be several different perfomance versions of models that could hold your attention - several already mentioned in this discussion.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)