View Single Post
Old 03-23-2024, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been hung up on how to mount the external oil pressure regulator for the lash adjusters, and have determined I'll probably just zip tie it to the turbo support bracket and move on. I'll get it mounted properly at a later date. The issue is I lost the bracket that came with it since I had it mounted directly to a tube coming out of the head.

Bottom and top end assembly is done, complete with gaskets and sealants so not coming back apart. I've installed light weight 1bbl springs for break in. Once the engine is up and running, I'll swap in my re-ground cam with more lift to break in on the light weight springs. After a thousand miles or so on the light weight springs I'll install new heavy springs for rpm and boost.

Bottom end.

On the top end, for right or wrong, I put a little film of straight moly grease on all the rubbing surfaces. Top of the valves, lash adjusters, top of the followers and on the cam lobes themselves. Since there is no rolling or spinning of the valvetrain parts, figure the grease is good start up protection.

Apparently I didn't have a water pump gasket, so some gasket material and hammer to template it.

Then put the balancer on....

And realized I forgot the belt cover back panel, which won't go on with the balancer in place, lol

Little paint and re-work, and done.

I've re-done my cam sensor as well. Before I had a Ford pickup sensor in a plastic cap on the distributor, now I bent the tab 90º and threaded a hall sensor into the distributor body. I'll put a new cap on it, perhaps out of aluminum.

About have the engine bay cleaned up and painted. Going to put the engine in soon so I can do the engine wiring harness.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)