View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, Left them all in, and use most all of them. Only wires not used currently are for timing control, and they are in the harness ready to be used should we choose to lock out the MSD and switch to electronic control.

No big deal, they are in the bundle anyway and can't be seen. It's not like they are coiled up behind the engine somewhere.

Never did the modern alternators on either car, just kept the stock stuff with external voltage regulators, never wrapped any wires in RFI protection stuff. Just ran the harness neatly with good connections and good grounds, good plug wires on the cars etc..... Never a single RFI issue with either car. Both EFI units have run perfectly for the last year since install. I think cars that have problems in this area probably already had issues and the owner just wasn't aware. EFI will bring out those issues and magnify them 10 fold.

I will say a good fuel system is a must. Both cars already had big in tank fuel pumps and 1/2" line to and from already in place when running carbs, so the EFI switch was pretty easy with a fuel system already in place to support it.

I'm not a fan of external pump setups or reservoir tanks or any of that. Cheap way to get up and running but not a good long term solution.

Which EFI direction you decide to go is based a lot on which intake manifold you have, whether you want to change it, and how much you want to spend. Throttle body EFI's are hugely popular, I see 10 of those for every multiport setup. I like the multiport stuff but you'll get more involved with the swap and it changes the appearance a bit. Just depends on what you want.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE