View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Next thing that's wrong with these wheels: the center cap holes are too tight. I ended up damaging my previously-immaculate center caps putting them in there. It's like someone decided to remove clearance from the center cap bore and add it to the hub bore...

As aftermarket wheels, these are wonderful. They're relatively light, beautiful, straight and well-balanced (they had zero imbalance without tires mounted). All that for a very decent price. But as reproductions, they're kind of a failure. They require hub-centric rings to mount on their original application and they can't accommodate the original center caps without damaging them. I'm still not convinced about the accuracy of the color, but I can't confirm that. So far, I'm unimpressed.

Also, I tried contacting OER to clarify something about tire installation, and I got an email back from a guy at Classic Industries who was basically a jerk. This tells me 2 things:

- I should avoid buying anything from Classic Industries (I hadn't yet, but I was planning to)

- these OER wheels are likely not the same ones Year One sells, as I originally suspected (although they may be cast and/or machined at the same Chinese factory). Near as I can tell, Year One doesn't sell anything from OER and Classic Industries doesn't sell anything from Year One

I'm kinda wishing I'd gone with the Year One wheels at this point. Lesson learned...