View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 09:33 AM

Exclamation

Concur that's it not about a housing developer or more houses nor is it about local residents complaining about the noise to bring the track to an end. It is surrounded by NJ Pinelands, which are to be preserved. If you drive a quad/dirtbike in some spots near there, state officials ticket you.

When all the those who bought McMansions near E-Town, saving 25% over living a couple towns further from the track, complained about the track noise, I remember an Old Bridge Township Zoning Board Mtg inviting public comment regarding the track and noise. IIRC, this was in the late 90's/very early 2000's. Best part: enough racers/track enthusiasts showed up to support Raceway Park. Any noise complaints were effectively thrown out the window and the track continued to operate for almost another 15 or so years until it sold.

So while I agree it's hard to stop a business decision to sell the track because it is private property of the owner, I feel there's a better chance that public support for the track (opposition to an auction parking lot being proposed) will keep the track property for use as a racetrack.

Todd, I agree and do support Island Dragway as well. However, since the area surrounding Island is just private farmland, and therefore likely all buildable by town zoning, if Atco doesn't turn into an auction, it has the best chance of long term survival.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)