Thread: Tri-power issue
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, an update for the ones responding to this thread............

Today i put my initial timming to 15-16 btdc, and turned the idle down some........

Car ran pretty good, temp stayed between 170-190 but this was with my elec fan running with the flex fan.............thought this was kind of strange, not that hot today about 80 some, but usually i could run down the freeway with the iron heads and never hit 160 on the temp guage.

Still having a hell of a time keeping the idle at 850-900, checked for vacuum leaks using brake cleaner spraying everywhere, no difference in idle.

Might need a different throttle spring, couple times at a stop sign , it would stay at 1200-1300, but if i lifted the pedal up with my foot it would drop down.

Noticed if i idle the car with new plugs after 5 or so minutes, they were black..........today i ran the car 50 miles, ran it somewhat hard, no smoke whatsoever comming out of my pipes, but the neighbor guy said he could smell the gas from my car, and hes 2 houses away........when i took out these plugs tonite they were somewhat tan/white on the tips and the first ring was kind of a soot black color.

Don"t know if im getting a gas or exhaust smell in the car, but with the windows down and doing 70-80 im smelling something in the car, and eyes are burning some.

Right now im at 0.039 on the idle tubes, 0.076 on the mixture screws, 0.125 on the throttle blades...............

Mike Wasson was good enough to send me another base plate as well as a venturi cluser, so i can start over if you think this would help.

While at 190, i can shut off and start the car instantly, no hesitation at all, did it at least 7-8 times in a row, no issues.

Not sure where to go from here..............hate to dump the tripower after spending quite a bit on the whole deal.

Sorry for the long post & dumb questions, but i hope you understand this is frustrating .......and would like to find out some answers.............didn"t spend $2500 on alumin heads, to run 30 degress hotter than my 6X-8 did.

Rich