View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Isn't this an aftermarket crank? If so, they generally don't have the serrations that you typically see for the rope style seals.

I've always used the 2 piece BOP seals with excellent results as long as the crank seal surface has a smooth finish.

Just out of curiosity, when you installed that rear main cap, you did use a bit of sealant on the face of the cap that sits on the machined surface of the block......correct??

That is a common source of a leak that makes it appear to be a rear main seal, and I still see that little detail missed on occasion where people forget to put sealant in that area. Just thought I'd mention it.
Yes, I did. It doesn't appear to be leaking there. Looks like it's collecting and dripping right out of the middle of the seal. Caveat - I used the grey sealant which isn't provided to be worth much, so I'll use the black next time.

Wade from BOP reached out when I saw my order go through this morning (gotta love that kind of service!). We've been batting emails back and forth trying to diagnose. One thing I neglected to do was to measure the crank seal diameter and the compressed seal diameter and compare. My hunch is that the journal in the block is slightly out of round. Considering the #5 bearing clearance was +.010 more from the other journals with the same bearing, it makes me wonder if the line hone was bungled on #5. Like maybe the machinist didn't take enough off the cap?

Either way, sounds like I should take things apart and pull the crank out to figure out what's going on.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)