View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Below is some information I've exchanged with folks who are experts in their field when it comes to aftermarket carburetors and carburetor tuning (they do it for a living).

Before I retired I woudn't share this information because it looks like I'm trying to "bash" the competition to steer work in my direction. In any case, a couple of comments below from folks with EXTENSIVE experience with these things:

"The magazine and the tv hot rod shows do not want to feature anything that does not tell the tale they wish to promote. I have done some work with the new Edelbrock AVS2 carbs with the annular boosters that the media say is great but when I replace the primary boosters with a standard booster the car runs way stronger, so much for believing the media."

"I am backdating most of the newer holley idle wells to 0.106" since most newer holleys have an idle well that is formed with a tapered core plug and I always place the idle jet in the lower position. The people I knew at Holley had sent me a prototype of the 750 cfm ultra series carb that was built by Bo Laws and it was very nice but once they brought the production in house it was not as good as the Bo Laws unit. The idle jet is longer than the one Bo Laws used thus it either sticks out of the passage on the gasket side or out into the idle well which restricts the flow. I either shorten a new idle jet or install an allen head jet that I drill to size. These changes cure the lean off idle problems we see with most newer Holleys"

I shortened up the emails but I think anyone reading them can get the drift. Instead of correcting design flaws with their products these companies just continue to dump them on the market. At that point if the end user isn't happy with it he's either got to become a carburetor expert or hire one to end all the drama. Not a bad deal if you have a part-time gig on a picnic table in your back yard and know where to go in and make the needed changes to get that junk up to par. I started my business in similar fashion. I used to work on ALL types of carburetors until they got piled up too deep around here. Then I decided to pick one type and stick with it, which was a very good business decision. I still turn down at least a dozen jobs a week and I closed down that part of the business over a year ago!.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: