View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenth, I work or have worked on just about EVERYTHING here so my experiences go far beyond one or two different types of carburetors.

I also do a LOT of carburetors for small power equipment, generators, chain saws, string trimmers, garden tillers, etc. I also do quite a few tractor carburetors. I've also built a good many AFB (Webber) clones for Marine applications as they replaced the Quadrajet Marine carburetors in the mid 1990's.

I've dyno and track tested Edelbrock AFB and AVS clones and not impressed with them anyplace. Even with that said if you want a carb that will move your ride from point A to point B with relatively decent success till it takes a dump they are fine for that.

Here's the down and dirty with them. The brass floats sold for them are crap. I've had a 100 percent failure rate with them leaking and sinking to the bottom of the bowl. Some sink right away, others may be a few months or years but the soldered seams aren't that great or this new fuel is eating their lead freee solder, not sure.

They accl pumps are very poorly constructed and the seals are NOT ethanol compatible despite what they are advertising. They are a soft silicone type product, not an elostomer designed to be resistant to fuel with alcohol in it. I suspect the tips of the fuel inlet needles are also NOT made from a high quality flouroelostomer as they fail as well. Not nearly as often as the pump seals but I've had a good many of those carbs in here flooding from that issue.

Some "cobbling" is also involved with the installation. Most folks just hack saw the stock steel fuel line or slightly better cut it with a tubing cutter. Then they run 2-3' of rubber hose back around to the fuel inlet held in place with a couple of hose clamps, not taking care that it doesn't rub on something in it's path. NO ONE takes the time to even put a bulge on the cut steel line so it's not an engine fire in the making.

Since the factory calibrations aren't that great and they have some design flaws included the user ends up another $100 or so in one of Edelbrock tuning "kits" or at a minimum tuning parts to get them dialed in. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they don't count on that happening as they get another nice bonus on each one they sell. On a good note the primary side is super easy to tune as the PP assemblies and primary metering rods/pp springs are easy to replace with a nice selection of two-stepped rods for that purpose.

They are square flange and often require an adapter or different intake. Edelbrock is counting on the latter to make another couple hundred bucks on the sale. Many factory and/or drop base air cleaners have trouble clearing them, so more cobbling for many Ram Air, Shaker or Cowl induction equipped cars.

I'll stop there, going to go out and spend my time doing more important things like throwing a few sticks for my dogs........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: