View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not upset in the least.

When I see these threads I'm quickly reminded how many thousands of calls and emails I've had to the shop from folks who absolutely HATE the Edelbrock junk and despite spending another $100 on their tuning kit can't get it to work for chit no matter what they do.

Since I'm retired and have no dog in these fights I just call it like it is from decades of experience with these things.

Matter of fact we have one Edelbrock POS AFB clone in the family. My brother has one on his 1978 GMC grain hauling truck. It's powered by a 427 tall deck Chevy truck engine and over 20 years ago the governor controlled Holley took a crap on him. At the time the best viable replacement (it was harvest season and he needed it to work) was to buy an electric choke Edelbrock Performer series carb for it. It starts, runs and moves the truck around just like it's supposed to, sucks TONS of fuel but who's keeping track when you are hauling close to 50,000 pounds of grain with it. Every 2 to 3 years I get the unfortunate pleasure of having it dropped off here for a top gasket, new N/S assemblies and a complete accl pump assembly.....it was just in here about 4 months ago.

I stock a kit for it to save down time. Takes me about as long to get it back in service as it did to type this. It ends up here for one of two reasons, flooding and/or no pump shot. The soft silicone pump seal Edelbrock imports for those doesn't last long in this new fuel and the pump is a hoaky POS right to start with being made out of soft plastic and the pump end rotates all over the place like it's worn slam out even when they are NIB.

Anyhow, I put the info out there based on direct experience with these things. Like it, don't like, agree with it, don't agree with it, make a copy and use it for toilette paper I could really care less.........IF it helps someone along the way it was worth the effort.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: