View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Water ingestion.

You wouldn't want to drive your car in the rain with an open forward facing scoop, especially with the air pan installed.

Remember that these cars were designed for daily use, among worst case customers.

K
FYI, the ram air pan is designed to cope with a reasonable amount of rain. The carb inlets are raised and it has water drain holes.

Also FYI, I have an open scoop and ram air pan on my '66 tripower car. I've dynoed my car hood open and closed, and it loses almost 20 RWHP with the hood closed, because the stock scoop opening is too small to feed air to that engine (@ 400+ RWHP). It starts pulling a vacuum through that tiny scoop inlet. I didn't glue my seal to the pan for that reason - when it starts pulling vacuum, it pulls the side of the seal in to grab more air (albeit hot underhood air). Another reason to not glue the seal is if you're caught in really heavy rain, you can plug the scoop openings and remove the pan seal to get home.

Finally, for the OP, I drilled holes then used a fine coping saw to cut mine open. Final trimming was with a die grinder and sanding roll.