View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mocked up exhaust system from the mufflers forward

As I had mentioned, I was going to have to make modifications to the Magnaflow exhaust kit due to the G Force crossmember. I ended up having to cut about 4 1/2" out of the pipes behind the X in order to move the X further back. This allowed the angled front extensions to clear the crossmember.

For temporary connectors, I slotted 4" sections of left over pipe, slipped them on to join the pipes and used some of the supplied band clamps to hold them in place. I did this for rejoining the cut pipes as well as connecting to the down pipes. The down pipes are from Pypes which are the same 409 stainless steel as the Magnaflow pipes are.

My intention is to weld all the joints except at the rear of mufflers. I am going to buy 4 connectors to replace the temporary ones I have on there now to avoid having to do any butt welds.

Here's a photo of the side of the car I took kneeling on the floor. As you can see, the system tucks up nicely and isn't seen.

Next I will start with the mock-up of the tail pipes.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO