View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
I cant see putting a quart in and just driving it, will hurt. Sludge needs to be dissolved gradually, just like it formed. I would use MMO and drive it 1K and do a oil change, then do it again. Cut the oil filter open and see what's going on. Not sure what to look at to measure progress. Peek at the oil filler hole in the valve cover?
Agree 1qt of ATF or diesel etc shouldnt hurt the engine but taking it easy while driving a short distance or idling since it does dilute the oils properties is a good idea... but the main point is ATF has much lower amounts of detergents as normal oils, so there isnt any reason or advantage to using it at any concentration over normal oil or other products designed to flush/clean an engine.

With the analysis results showing how low the detergents & all other additives are compared to oil, I hope this shows that using ATF to clean an engine is a flawed myth and using it full strength in an engine is not "wise" and will cause excessive wear that is just asking for problems.

Thanks to those who have voted so far.