View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Those links mention as many as 49 different types of zddp used today, and some of it doesn't play well with others, which goes on to mention that's why extra additives poured in to existing oil isn't always a good idea. Those links also mention how some oils with higher levels of detergents (like diesel) are a bad idea as they counter act the zinc and phosphorous additives that everyone is after. Another one mentions how diesel oil is going through another major change this coming year due to the higher demands of EPA and these newer engine requirements coming out. That could mean better, but it usually doesn't given the history, lol. Time will tell.

There is a ton of good reading in there, I just wonder how many actually bother to read any of it.
i read the article & some of the links within, ive always found oils & the additives used interesting, been a member at BITOG almost as long as here, have read hundreds of VOA & UOA results of different brands as well as many experts there discussing oil & other automotive fluids & additives.

unless i missed something in one of the embedded links from that article posted on page 1, they only mention 2 types of zddp, primary in diesel oils & secondary used along with primary in gasoline oils, they did mention oil techs can vary the combination for different results. but for about 10 years now valvoline's FAQ & talking to techs there, they explain that modern zddp is longer lasting & since its sacrificial not as much is needed as the older type in older oils. that along with modern anti wear additives is the main reason why i get a chuckle from guys thinking they need specialty or race oils with 1500-2000+ ppm of zddp or additives for their broken in stock cams or even "mild" cam/springs for the majority of street cars in this section. but outdated myths die hard.

after reading that article & the upcoming changes to diesel oil, i plan to use up the last of my older rotella t this next oil change (which hasnt caused any problems in 13+ years on one car i use it in) & will start using a good brand of normal oil with ~900 ppm of modern zddp & other additives like i do in my other stock cam pontiac for 25+ years. & i got 200k+ miles out of my prev FT cam daily using cheap but good quality oils like supertech with zero cam/lifter problems, its still running around town today!