View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Hmmm, would cranking compression still be okay with that move?"

I was hired to "tune" this engine after quite a few others had a crack at it. It actually idled fine, and put down OK compression numbers, but just a tad low for what I would have expected from the combination.

The symptoms were, that it would not rev at heavy/full throttle with any authority. Just slow and boring, and didn't make much power for a 455 with ported #64 heads and a roller camshaft.

I put a different carb and distributor on it, same exact symptoms, so I pulled the timing cover to find the keyways advanced two positions, and the original "dot to dot" still being used to line up the sprockets. This is actually pretty easy to do with a Rollmaster timing set, as their directions are just about useless.

Anyhow, I moved the crank two positions, and lined up the new mark with the original dot on the upper sprocket, and the engine ran great......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),