View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
CRC Brakleen is a stellar product for removing oil and grease. Only the red can, not that useless crap in the green. Worse, they sell a red can at Dollar General with a yellow stripe band at the top, it's worse than the green can.

I've never found an alternate brand of brake cleaner tha takes oil film off like the true CRC product. Especially good at cleaning up after repairing engine oil leaks.

I appreciate the warnings in this thread, it's news to me and I'll be welding in future.
The green can is non chlorinated, the safer stuff.
Folk, if you are looking for the inexpensive stuff to remove oil and grease, its carb cleaner.
The best, CRC Heavy Duty Degeaser is around 14$ a can.
Brakeclean is for cleaning brakes and in a pinch oil and grease. Just not in any way the best.
One thing Brakclean does very well is mix with water. So I use it all the time to clean out something like a gas can with a little crud/water in the bottom. It will mix with water, clean and you can pour it out.
Oil and water do not mix, everyone knows that.
So why use a product that mixes with water to clean oil and grease ? When you can buy a product that every ounce in the can does not mix with water, carb cleaner.
The only reason I use it to clean oil and grease is they buy it at work for brakes and we have no "carbs" at the mill.