View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreMaker View Post
Oh THOSE braces! Were those only found on 78 and later cars? Are they WS6-specific? I don't have my '77 here yet, so I can't confirm whether or not they're already present. Seems like they'd provide some decent reinforcement without changing the appearance noticeably.

The deep-dish 15x8 snowflakes definitely look better than the flush ones, and I'll likely consider switching to those when I'm due for new tires and switch to 255/60-15 rather than the current 225/70-15s. You're right that those are some of the nicest wheels made by GM at the time.

Wasn't sure if the '77 block was an XX or not, my old '78 had an XX block, and I vaguely remember that it was one of the changes from the '77 model. But that block wasn't the reason why 220hp was achieved. I can easily bump up the engine in the '77 to 250+hp with super minor changes that are completely invisible.
yes the brace bars are WS6 specific. pretty sure the pre WS6 frames didnt have provisions for them but easy to check yours, there will be a slot in the arm mount & internal threads in the frame for the bolt

no the xx blocks didnt increase power but pontiac felt the thicker block was needed or a better option for the higher power & probably more abused W72. the 557 blocks are ok too for most mild power street engines.

both sizes of snowflakes were known as "disco", these later year 2nd gen t/a's were known as disco in general, just the era they were from. & yes lots of people put the wider WS6 wheels on their cars... because.. they were & are the better wheel. sounds like the OP prefers them too & realizes the benefit of a little wider wheel & tire.

if a part needs bead blasted & repainted it wasnt really "mint"... these are just solid pieces of metal, surface rust doesnt really change their value & $5-$10 worth of paint doesnt justify more than double what they sell for. i usually leave repainting up to the buyer so they can paint them how they like to match their other parts. the sets i have are very clean originals with factory nuts & bolts & are priced fairly.