View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 400/455 stroker build

I had another thread about potentially pulling the original WS 400 out of my '70 Trans Am and dropping in a 428 that I was running for some time in my '67 GTO. I've decided to change that plan to using a 400/455 stoker build instead of the 428. This eliminates any issues with motor mount adapters with the 428. Here's my basic plan:

455 block (or 400). Bored .030
4.25 Stroker kit from Butler (-8cc flat top pistons)
Aluminum KRE heads from SD Perf. (85cc) or E-heads form Butler (87cc)
HR cam (Stump Puller from SD)
Factory intake CNC-ported by SD

This is going in a '70 TA with an M-21 4-speed and 3.55 rear. I have thought about swapping in a TKX 5-speed as part of this conversion, but that could always happen later.

Thoughts on above build for a street build (maybe a couple of trips to dragstrip ea year).?

Also, are the E-heads a better choice for a street car because they have the provision for the heat crossover? If the KRE heads are fine, do I need to convert carb to manual choke?

I'm just starting to price all of this and was also curious if perhaps just buying a short block from Butler (or maybe even a crate engine (from Butler or KRE)) might be the easier route to go.