View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
My '66 GTO has a solid roller with Doug's round port headers with 3" exhaust all the way back. I used Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers which were fine drone-wise, but too loud. I added resonators downstream of the mufflers like the stock setup was, which made a significant difference. The body length of the 24222 is only 12" long and looking thru it you'd swear it wouldn't make a difference...but it does.

https://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/rac...ullet-mufflers
This is pretty much what I was thinking of except the resonators would be upstream of the mufflers. I mentioned my firebird exhaust system only for reference purposes because the stock system had the resonators upstream too. Since these tube type resonators (glass packed mufflers) are so small, they would be relatively easy to fit into place. From what I read, the farther upstream you put resonators, the quieter it is for the interior of your car. I have zero experience with this, so I'm only going by posts from other sites that I read online. I've never done an H pipe, but seems like it might take a bit more fitting and I'm thinking the resonators would be more likely to give me what I'm looking for.

BTW, I don't want to give the impression to anyone that my wagon is loud. I'd say it has a very nice sound while cruising. My neighbor has a C7 Z06 Vette and I'd say my wagon has about the same sound level at idle as his car. The problem is my hearing sucks (product of loud everything as a teenager). I can't hear anything clearly when there is too much background noise, so I have to keep exhaust sound low.

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon