View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Resonators..... should I use them on my 68 Wagon

Earlier this summer, I put a pair of Dynomax 17749 mufflers and 2 1/2" Flowmaster tailpipes on my clone wagon. It has the RA exhaust manifolds and currently has a 68 350 engine built to HO specs. The tailpipes now run out the back of the car under the rear bumper.

I expected the new mufflers to quiet down the car a lot. In the end, it did get rid of the drone, but is still fairly loud when idling. At this point, I'm not sure if I will change anything or not.

I have a new (still in the box) stock Gardner exhaust system for my 68 Firebird (400 HO spec engine) and it has a pair of resonators that go in front of the transverse muffler. I'm wondering if maybe I could put a pair of the tube type resonators in front of the dual mufflers on the wagon and what that would do to the sound at idle. I'm okay if performance suffers a little as I'll never push the car hard anyway.

Short of that, I suppose I could swap out the mufflers again or put sound deadening mat under the carpet. I don't think an X-pipe would help at idle, or would it? I'd like to take the easiest route possible.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks

Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon