View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
I would say without some sort of consequences, he may do it again.
I got a dui years ago and had it dropped to a reckless due to the Trooper going to bat for me..
However! I had to go through all the stuff one does when convicted of a dui as part of the deal..
I won't so much as use mouthwash and drive a car now... the pain of the consequences cured me of ever doing that again.
It should be enough to think I could have killed someone else... but thought I was invincible.. consequences change behavior in my opinion.
Same here, in my case, rolled six inches over the white line at a stop sign. Years ago, will never repeat that offence. I have some friends pretty high up in NY state law enforcement ... barracks that the troopers took me to was commanded by a very good friend .. but it was 30 min before he came to work. Called me later that day, sorry that he couldn't do anything .. mentioned he had two troopers that month he let go because of DUIs.

Strangest thing, called my attorney, went to court a few days later, paid the fine $540, $700 to my attorney, did the classes etc. I had an absolutely pristine driving record for 20 years. My insurance never went up, in fact it went down the next year, my motorcycle insurance never went up, my wife insured with the same company, same household .. never went up. Never heard a word from the insurance companies. I think some phone calls were exchanged between some friends at the Capital ... and some how it got erased from the database the DMV allows the insurance companies to access. And not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I've never asked for a transcript of my driving record, or pressed any of my friends about it.

In NY ... there is ZERO being let go on a DUI, numerous organizations always watching for that to happen. If you are in your vehicle drunk, back seat, unconscious, with the keys locked in the trunk .... they will still write you a DUI ... in NY they do not have to SEE you driving. If you are IN the car, and the keys are in the car (in the trunk counts evidently) ... and you are drunk (not on your own property) they will give you a DUI.

Although ... rural situation, Deputy Sheriff pulls you over ... anything is possible, county Sheriffs have huge sway over how they run their departments.