Thread: 1959 389 Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 PM

Default Bought it on a whim.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
Probably very late to be making this post.....and no issue with anything at all, it's very interesting. Just curious in your selection of the 59 vs the 60 engine. Did you just want to "experience" the reverse cooling flow design...or? Seems like the strong block thing is about the same between the two but no cooling "tube" issues w the 60 design. Like I indicated, just curious. Thx for any comments.
A fellow H.A.M.B. forum member living here in SoCal noticed that I like Pontiacs from reading my posts.

He saw me post that I would have wanted the '59 389 that another fellow H.A.M.B. member living in Nebraska (Rocky389 on PY) had recently scrapped. I had previously posted (before the scrapping) that if he ever took a CA vacation to haul it along.....not likely of course.

So he sent me a PM asking if I wanted a '59 389. Told him I really didn't need one, but if his price was negotiable.....I'd consider buying it.

I was always kind of interested in owning one of the very first 389s because of the unique design features (reverse-cooling was a major point of interest) and the thick block casting but I never really pursued it.

Seller was willing to haggle and drop his price by a considerable amount so I bought it, even though I really don't have much space to store it. I picked it up only 20 miles away from me, distance and the ability to avoid any shipping costs other than a few bucks for gas was a huge factor.

Now I have new toy.

No solid plans for it yet, it's been a fun low-dollar winter project for me thus far.

I like Pontiacs.