Thread: Weight savings?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is good advice IMO -
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
I would just cut out the waffled steel crash protection plate and the glass tract and install Lexi glass and call it a day.
Heres why...
I weighed my 73 LeMans doors fully loaded....crash bar, glass, locks, handles etc. They came in at 125lbs each. It sure seemed like more when you tried to lift 'em! but that was the number. Yours will be slightly lighter given the size difference of the two vehicles I imagine? Maybe not.

After weighing my fiber door, adding back in all the stuff I want to work while on the street, including making some steel reinforcement for the hinge areas, I figured it would be 100lbs saving for the car. Lotta work for 100lbs. My doors have no lock provision, no striker provision and need to be reinforced any place I'm going to put stress on them...like all of the the window track mounting spots, the window roller area, and the handle and striker areas. AND I still gotta paint them! Perhaps your doors are closer to ready than mine.

The crash bar is 20lbs. I took that out last Feb. Thats 40lbs gone and that only took a couple hours. As mentioned, some lightweight Lexan would save more...for me that would be 17lbs if I choose to go that route.

As also mentioned, this driver could stand to lose a few....sooooo, might be less work to do that then trying to massage those doors to work like factory ones. I don't know though....I really like cookies.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread