Thread: Pearl Harbor
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SportRagtop View Post
While out running errands with my family yesterday we stopped in to visit my 101 year old grandmother. Her mind obviously isn't what it once was but even she remembered December 7th.

Her brother was killed in WWII and her husband, my grandfather, was wounded on Guadalcanal and walked with a limp for the remainder of his life. So she has no great love for the Japanese. It was just funny yesterday in this "politically correct" world we live in to hear my grandmother still referring to them as those goddamn dirty Japs.
Hard for some people to let go. Can't blame them for that. When I was at Ft Bragg, our Platoon Sgt would have us dress in our Class A's and visit the elderly residents at the local VA hospital. They were always happy to see us in uniform and they had lots of stories and laughs for us. One time, my roommate, who was Korean, went up to this one old fella and started to say hello. When the guy looked up and saw him, he immediately began kicking and screaming at him and kept grabbing at his right hip like he was going for his side-arm. We all had a good laugh, except my roommate. He felt pretty bad. A nurse explained to us that he was a terminal cancer patient and a homeless Vietnam vet. Those were tough trips, but well worth it.