View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was one that did homework on the ram air setup. Dad bought his 69 Goat new and been racing it since the 80's. The car has always run it's best times with those scoops functional and the factory air cleaner setup in place. Had numerous 455's in the car during that period.

More recently in fact I've modified the setup with a Glasstek hood and molded in an air box using a L88 style drop base to seal the hood to only fresh outside air, still uses the GTO scoops. Basically it now mimics how the 68 style was setup. The car now has a 571ci. engine.
Now with a Sniper installed I can datalog. IAT's are the most telling. Pumping gas and sitting still getting heat soaked the IAT's are already 130 degrees after 5 minutes. Pulling out of the station and within a mile of cruising 30-40 mph the IAT's drop to within a couple degrees of outside ambient temps. You can actually watch the IAT's go up at a stop light, and come back down when the car starts moving.
At the track where the car traps 128 mph, during the datalog the IAT's are dropping throughout the pass and actually getting about 20 degrees below ambient temps at those speeds.

The setup works very well.

Either way I like the build. I like the 96 heads on the 68 GTO idea, and how I would have built it. Iron intake would be more correct for 68 but I much rather prefer the aluminum version with the separate heat crossover. I've been running it for a few years now on mine and was a big improvement over heat soak while still keeping the divorce choke functional.
Not a fan of the rockers as mentioned. I only use Harland Sharp or Crower steel rockers on my builds anymore. Otherwise a nice combo of parts that's going to be a blast to drive.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: