View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Nice work! And yes, inspect & clean all parts!

What do the instructions say for first level of N2O? I'm guessing the gap you used was for a standard, non-spray or boost car?

When rings butt, due to whatever reason, it causes damage such as broken rings, accelerated wear (rings & bore), and can hang up in the piston. There are usually 3 specs for rings in the instructions, standard, mild boost or spray, and race. Each step recommends the gap be opened up more. Some instructions are more granular, listing more than those 3 specs.

(attached example pic is a Total Seal Gap sheet, but can vary between ring types)

In the example gap instructions, first stage of N2O and/or boost, it calls for .0055, standard street/strip is .0045 .

My chart shows the same. Sounds like there's no harm, and maybe some reassurance, in going a little more generous than .018. If I got by the next step up, that would put my at .023 which is quite a bit bigger.

What if I split the difference with .020 on the top ring and .023 on the bottom ring? What's the logic behind the wider gap on the bottom ring?

Good call on checking at the bottom of the cylinder. Just had it bored with a torque plate so it should be uniform, but I'll check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
PS - Did you use any loctite on the galley plugs? Many use the sealant/locker blue or orange.
I used Loctite sealant on the plugs.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)