View Single Post
Old 09-04-2022, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I'm still of the mindset that the OP's setup would look killer with the 68 system intact and functional. He likes period correct making the car appear as if he would have built it in 69-70 using over the counter OEM performance parts, as he mentioned in an earlier post, and to me the 68 RA pan setup is at the top of that list.
Twist my arm The main thing holding me up from adding the ram air gear is that I don't want to cut the hood. That said, I did punch a 4" hole in it for a hood tach and my scoops are already open so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
On the #5 clearance, wasn't the factory spec bigger for #5 too? I thought for some reason it was like .0003-.0005 more than the rest, but I honestly can't recall specifically. (Wish I wasn't living out of boxes right now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You are correct, at least the one old book I grabbed does have the #5 main with slightly larger "range" for oil clearance. I don't know if all books or more recent books are like that.
Interesting - which book are you looking at? The '68 service manual only shows .0002-.0020 for all main bearings. (.0002!!??)I looked in an old Chilton's in addition to Rocky Rotella's books and they all listed a uniform range for all mains. I tried calling Butler today for advice, but they're closed for the holiday.

While I figure out the bearing clearance situation, I picked up on a few other things. First, I primed and painted the block, new valley pan, new Canton pan and repro front cover. A while back I found a snafu on Amazon's site and got a 6 pack of Pontiac Duplicolor 1616 for $15. Came in handy today.

Next, I checked the crank endplay. I rigged up a dial indicator from my cam degree kit, I hope that's kosher. I couldn't get it on the crank snout, so I set it up against the first counterweight. Looks like I'm at .007 which is in the acceptable range. I also test fit the factory windage tray with spacers to make sure it's going to clear the crank (it will, no problem).

Finally, I got familiar with the Total Seal ring pack and set up the ring filer. The instructions say to go for .012-.022 for my bore size. I looked through some old threads and it seems like the consensus is .016-.018 on the first ring and .020-.022 on the second, although Cliff mentioned he does .018 on both. I have the first one at .017 right now. Taking this first one slow and being very careful to ensure I'm filing square and not taking too much off.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	597800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4717.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	597801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Views:	524