View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
So C.A.R.B. began in the late 60s, EPA in the early 70s, and we all know what happened to performance in the 70s.

What bothers me most these days is MPGs. Why do new cars suck gas? The tech is there, these econo cars should be over 60 MPG. Shoot, some of the 60s and 70s car get better MPG than some new cars. Not even going to bring trucks into this topic, it's just ridiculous what MPGs they get.

Anyway, it's obvious the reasoning for higher operating temps are for emissions purposes. It's a shame that the EPA requires certain emissions devices be present, and not set standards for actual 'emission' of harmful substances. If they left it up to the engineers, I bet not only would cars perform better, but emissions would be considerably lower.

People need to understand that a 'performance' engine = an 'efficient' engine. And visa-versa. If you make the same power with less fuel, what would you call that?

I agree on all counts. Given all the technology, I'm really not all that impressed with fuel mileage on new cars. Manufactures are being choked with regulations.
I'm doing nearly as well, and even better in some instances, with my classics using a carb and points ignition systems, and no overdrive.