View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have concluded that we don't have any ground that would support a garden so we've abandoned the idea of constructing a raised bed like I built in Fla. No area that gets much sun and whatever does grow, the Black Bears consume. Had a few sunflowers this year, the bears recently trampled them and picked the seed heads clean.

My wife did plant herbs in a planter box set-up that sits on our 2nd floor deck. It did pretty well. The deck has no outside access but a couple years ago a mama bear did climb the spiked corner post to climb up in search of food and raccoons have also visited. So it isn't completely safe from bears but better than down on the ground.

She also grew tomatoes in containers on this deck. They were doing great and since I'm the only one here that enjoys tomatoes, I was looking forward to eating them.

But just before the bulk of them were ready to harvest, we were invaded by Tomato Hornworms, a grotesque caterpillar if you're not familiar. They devoured the ripening crop and leaves. I picked them off and drowned them in a bucket but the damage was done. We did get a few peppers and cucumbers but without a true garden area, we are really limited.

My neighbor has a decent size garden but after 35 years of battling bears and losing, they gave up and planted flowers in it this year. They tell me they also fought deer years ago but they seem to have abandoned our area, we never see them except at somewhat lower elevations. But the bears make gardening a real challenge.

I'm jealous of Jon and all of you guys that enjoy such a significant harvest from your gardens. Jon, I've made note of the electric fence. Seems it will work for bears. We still lack sunshine on our property but I plan to discuss with my neighbor, I think they could use it to protect their garden.