View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

Eight years ago when getting the farm house I grew up in ready for sale (my Grandfather bought the property in 1910) I claimed the work bench that had been in the chicken coop for many years. My plan was to clean it up and use it somewhere. It sat dissembled in storage until January when I lost that storage space. rather than move it to the new storage facility, and since I now have more time, I brought it home and started cleaning it up. The top, a single piece of oak 20" x 66" x a full 3 " thick looked pretty funky from all it was exposed to but looked surprisingly good underneath. Same for the base, the front was beat-up but he back looked much better. So I flipped the top and moved the vice from front to back and rotated the base. The wood cleaned up quite well except that a couple of the legs had rotted away a couple of inches at the bottom.
Over the years in storage the nut for the vice had disappeared and of course it is a weird double pitch piece. Luckily a good friend and Pontiac guy is a machinist and he was able to cut a new one. I put casters on the legs so I can easily wheel it around in the garage.
It appears the legs and vise were factory made but the top looks to have been done separately I think the top was probably replaced at some point due to heavy use ar damage. In any case I'm pleased with the end results..
The third pic shows the wooden trucks I've been building for the grand kids.
The work bench is getting used again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2505.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	537504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2506.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	537505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2502.jpg